Sunday, May 23, 2010

Case for the iPad

I'm in the process of making a case for Rob's new ipad. I offered to do this even though he has already ordered one from the Apple store because I like making things for him and I don't often get the chance to. Anyway, I'm using the tutorial at Make It and Love It. It's pretty basic and fairly easy. I decided to use flannel for the inside and for the outside material I cut off the leg of a pair of pants that Rob no longer wears. I used interfacing on the outside material to give it a bit more bulk. I'm still learning how to use interfacing without getting wrinkles in the material. Here's where I got to yesterday morning:



That's when I tried to fit the ipad into the case. Didn't work. Here's a picture with the case laying on top of the ipad. The left edges of both are lined up:
So my measurements were off. The tutorial said to cut to the dimensions of the thing plus 1/4 inch seam allowance on all sides. I cut to that, but it obviously needed more. Luckily I have enough of the flannel and one more pant leg to give it one more try. And maybe I can use this first attempt as a diaper case for some little boy. I think the second try will go easier so even though I wish it had worked, I'm sure I'll benefit from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment